12.07.2009

Feminist Glitch

Bad Girls Club. For the Love of Ray J. Flavor of Love. BET.

Where are our role models? Gone are the days where respect was top priority. Suddenly "Sex sells" is now an adage versus a marketing tactic. It has quickly become the norm to see role models like Beyonce, who once merely suggested sex, wear her sexuality on her sleeve. Demure and lady-like are now adjectives used to describe being a priss or prude, when in reality it is what truly defines a lady. It seems as if our era has bred the "feminist glitch", a concept I came up with while writing this post. The feminist glitch is a woman who is comfortable in her sexuality, but to the point of her detriment. She is a woman who declares that she is uninhibited, but unwittingly gives up her sexual freedom by dictating it as her primary worth. Don't get me wrong, a freakum dress night or two is a beautiful thing, but the woman who half splits in that same freakum dress in a house amongst twenty women vying for the attention of a male who couldn't tell your hole from a hole in the wall, is self-deprecating. The saddest part is the fact that the medium to which most adolescent females receive their data, is the medium that is increasingly offering its female viewers more images to demean who they are.

It makes me cringe to hear the word b*tch become uncensored on television. Although b*tch may be used unisexually, it is predominantly directed towards females. Shows, which generally uplift women, such as Girlfriends, made it mainstream and acceptable to call one another b*tch because it was proposed to be a term of endearment. Why would I consciously want to entitle you my b*tch, when we are bonded through our sisterhood? I don't understand this industry at all and it makes me wonder what world I will be bringing my daughter into. All I know, is that I'll be right there beside her giving praise for the Queendom she beholds in the temple that is her body. I'll be telling her this 10 times a day, so that booty shot on the KING magazine cover can't tell her otherwise*

1 comment:

  1. Woosah... Girl, I dont even know where to start with this one. Goodness knows I have pages worth of comments to make. However, I'll say this: we are on the same page.

    I'm not gonna lie, shows like the Bad Girls Club often become my guilty pleasures. But my issue is not so much that shows like that shouldn't exist, it's more that they have quickly become the sole means through which our young girls see women in media. There is no balance, and it's scary.

    I too think long and hard about how I will raise my daughter in this society. I pray that I can raise them the way my mother and sisters were able to raise me.

    ReplyDelete